Friday 9 September 2016

Lemon Meringue Cupcakes!



If your like me then you will have been watching The Great British Bake Off, if your not from the U.K you may not be familiar with it, but, simply it's amateur bakers competing in a marquee tent, in the hopes of becoming the next great British baker, when you explain it to someone it sounds odd if you haven't watched it, but it gets very tense and addictive to watch because if you love to bake you know sometimes it just doesn't go your way and the bake has another idea. 

This week in honour of bake off I though I would make lemon meringue cupcakes, now I do have to say I've never in my nearly 20 years of life have I ever attempted to make a meringue but I think it's all part of the learning curve here on my blog so here goes....

You are going to need:
Cupcake batter

125g lightly salted butter
125g caster sugar
2 eggs
150g self rasing flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 lemons worth of zest

Topping and filling 
2 eggs whites
100g caster sugar
4 tablespoons of lemon curd


Prep 
Preheat your oven at 180°C /350°F/Gas Mark 4.
Place all your cupcake mixture into a bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
Place in your cupcake cases.

Bake
Place in the oven for 20 minutes so that they have risen and are firm, don't worry they do take their time and be careful not to take them out too early as they may collapse in the middle.

Toppings prep
While your cupcakes are cooking it is a good time to prep your meringue.
What you need to do to make meringue is..
Get your egg whites in a very clean bowl and whisk until they start to peak and are fluffy at this point you want to keep whisking and add a 1 tablespoon of caster sugar at time eventually you will have a firm glossy meringue.

Final touches 
Get your cupcakes out the oven and turn the oven up to 230°C /450°F/Gas Mark 8 and let the cupcakes cool, once they are cool, scoop out a teaspoon of sponge out the cupcake and place a teaspoon of lemon curd back in.

Now you need to get your meringue mix and place a generous amount on each cupcake and put it back in the oven for 5 minutes this will cook your meringue.



Let me know if you try them I have to say my meringue didn't turn out amazing but it's all a learning curve as I said at the beginning, but they still taste great so it's all good.
  

Until Next Time

Cera



No comments:

Post a Comment